What is the Stephen Ministry?
It's one-to-one ministry to men & women in need by a trained, caring friend.
Why is it called Stephen Ministry?
It takes its name from Stephen, who was chosen by Jesus' 12 disciples as the first lay person commissioned to care for those in need. If you read the story of Stephen, it says he was chosen for this caring ministry because he was full of the Spirit and of wisdom...faith...grace and power. And if you follow Stephen's life story to its sad end, we find even in his last minute, he never stopped selflessly caring about others.
Who are the Stephen Ministers?
- Men & women from our congregation who have been chosen for this same spirit of wisdom and faith and truly caring for others.
- Children of God who are dedicating a part of their lives to walk beside a hurting person and really listen.
- Each has received at least 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
Who might be helped by a Stephen Minister?Members of our congregation or communities that may be:
- Coping with divorce, job loss, unexpected pregnancy, financial troubles or other life transitions
- Discouraged, anxious or lonely
- Struggling to create more positive family relationships with a spouse or growing children
- Questioning their faith in God
- Grieving the loss of a loved one
- Hospitalized and/or dying, as well as family & friends of the terminally ill
- New to our congregation or community
- Simply needing someone to talk to
How does the ministry work?
- Stephen Ministers are always matched in gender to their care receivers.
- They visit regularly and dependably.
- And they are deeply committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship.
If you have a few minutes and would like to learn more about being a care receiver or a care giver, this video does a good job of giving you a sense of it.
If you think you or someone you know might be helped by a Stephen Minister, or you'd like some additional information, contact the church office at 978-692-4176.