Local Food Pantries
- Starting in pre-school and all the way through high school, the kids do a great job of collecting food through special drives for the local food pantries we support.
Summer Youth Mission Trip
- For the past many summers, about 30 UMCW youth and adult leaders have traveled to rural Maine to help those in need. They work under the auspices of a local church collaborative called Mission at the Eastward and do much needed home repairs, as well as tackling some new building projects, such as wheelchair ramps for residents that are unable to afford hiring help.
- Our youth work very hard all year to raise the money for this trip, including bake sales, the church's Easter breakfast, the annual Talent Show, and the March Madness Basketball Tournament. Congregants also help raise funds by selling goods such as homemade bbq sauce, and our Pastor, Bill Flug, has even run the Boston Marathon with all donations raised to help the Youth Mission Trip.
- This trip is always one of the highlights of the year, with new friends made and lives truly changed.
Boston Common Cathedral
Common Cathedral is an outdoor church that gathers every Sunday on Boston Common as a worshipping community for those who live on the streets of Boston. The UMCW Youth usually visit once a year, providing lunch for the unhoused congregants and standing side-by-side with them in worship.
Fall Youth Food Drive
- Each November, the Youth Fellowship does a special push to stock the local food pantry shelves for the holidays. The youth drive around town and collect bags of food from congregant's homes and then deliver it to one of the local food pantries we support.
- They've been known to collect a whopping 800 pounds of food in a couple hours!
Operation Christmas Child
Operation Christmas Child is a special global mission done by our Sunday school youth and by individuals and families within the church. It is run by the Samaritan's Purse organization. It teaches our children that it is in giving and sharing the love of God that Christmas is celebrated. Each class shares the spirit of Christmas by decorating; filling and sending gift-filled shoe boxes to needy children all over the world who may have never received a gift of any kind before. We've done this for 5 years or so and most classrooms prepared at least two boxes. Our church donated a total of more than 60 boxes plus the cost of shipping the boxes. Follow the Veggie Tales as they deliver boxes on their truly amazing journey around the world!
Birthday Party for Jesus
One of our favorite local missions projects each Christmas season is our Birthday Party for Jesus. The kids love participating in this project and usually bring their family's gifts down front on collection day. (They also really like the birthday cake we serve that day!)
And Those That Have Gone Out...
Our goal at UMCW is that youth that grow up in their faith here live in a spirit of God's service throughout their lives. We've had "graduates" of UMCW serving recently in Harlem, in H.O.P.E Campus ministry, at schools in Uganda, in mission nursing support in Belize, etc. We're happy to see the youth in our church family go out and continue to provide hope and care for people in need around the world.